: 10+ in mortgage industry
Permanent / Full time
Salary, Bonus Plan & Benefits
Location of Position:
Sharbot Lake, ON
Applicants may contact:
Ron Guest at firstname.lastname@example.org
Director – Underwriting
Our client, W. A. Robinson & Associates Ltd. www.robinsonsgroup.com is seeking a Director – Underwriting for its Sharbot Lake, Ontario office. Established in cottage country over thirty years ago, this well managed & growing Company manages assets totalling more than $100 million for two mortgage investment corporations and other high net worth portfolio clients. The Underwriting department is critical to the success of the organization and may expand considerably in the near future. The position is flexible for tele-commuting within certain guidelines.
The Director – Underwriting, is responsible for the efficient operation of the Underwriting department. As part of the senior management team of the Robinson group of companies, the Director – Underwriting is required to participate and contribute to the strategic direction of mortgage investments and implement changes required to meet the agreed upon direction of Underwriting and the strategic direction of the Company. The Director is also required to underwrite large, complex mortgage loans. This job reports to the Vice President, Operations.
Sharbot Lake is located 120 km West of Ottawa and70 km North of Kingston and has long be noted for its natural beauty, excellent fishing and as an outstanding tourist region.
Sharbot Lake Village,located on the shores of the lake, is a small village that offers many services including a medical center, senior’s residence and community services. Education is provided by a child care center, nursery school, public school, secondary school and a separate school. The surrounding region provides excellent fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, water sports and camping facilities.
- Represent the Underwriting Department to internal and external interfaces
- Maintain open and professional levels of communication with interfacing departments
- Monitor the underwriting process with a view to constant improvement
- Manage Underwriting staff
- Stay current with the mortgage market
- Recommend to Management the strategic direction on possible target markets and types of mortgages
- Recommend to Management improvements required in policies, processes and systems relating to Underwriting
- Develop the Underwriting budget
- Identify training requirements and develop training plans for Underwriting staff
- Mentor underwriting staff in terms of developing their underwriting skills, communication skills and people skills
- Identify staff goals for the year with staff
- Prepare staff evaluations on all staff on an annual basis
- Identify and develop reports for management and lenders (FMIC/MICEO) with respect to the status of the department
- Underwrite large, complex mortgage loans and present them to management and lenders
- Pursue continuous learning opportunities
- Review performance of mortgages with Mortgage Administration with a view to improving Underwriting processes
- Acquire and maintain an expert knowledge of the organization’s policies and procedures
- Maintain knowledge of the industry’s legal environment and ensure Underwriting is compliant
Education: University education, courses required to qualify for a mortgage broker’s license.
Experience: 10 + years in the mortgage industry with at least 5 in underwriting and 5+ years managing staff.
Skills/Abilities: Excellent management and people skills;. Highly computer literate; Excellent communications skills; Ability to forecast future trends in the mortgage industry. Well organized, with the talent for analytical thinking.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, including bonus plan and full benefits package.
TwoGreySuits is a leading Recruitment and HR Consulting firm operating in Canada.
Interested candidates can submit their resume in strict confidence to Ron Guest, Senior Partner, TwoGreySuits, email@example.com