Canada’s key interest rate will end 2011 unchanged.
The Bank of Canada left its policy rate at 1.00% today, as anticipated.
In a statement, the Bank said European economic performance will be worse than expected, Canadian and U.S. growth are “slightly” better than expected, and inflation will “ease.”
It added: “With the target interest rate near historic lows and the financial system functioning well, there is considerable monetary policy stimulus in Canada.”
Following the announcement, BMO economist Doug Porter told FP: “…I don’t really sense much of a change at all in the bank’s overall view.”
The bond market, which leads fixed mortgage rates, apparently agrees. Yields changed very little in reaction to the BoC’s decision. (5-year bond yield quote)
The next BoC rate meeting is January 17, 2012. As of today, financial markets are pricing in a 10% chance of a rate cut at that meeting and 90% chance of no change, according to Bloomberg.
Rob McLister, CMT
add more Global bank regulation and keep low rates.
About to purchase our first home. Does this mean it would be good to stick with variable in the short term?
Australia cut their interest rate today by 25 basis points for the second month in a row.
I think they were higher than Canada … 4.25% vs 1% for us.
BoC has to leave space to act if the things get worse.
I would recommend to contact a mortgage adviser – like Rob and Melanie – at email@example.com.
You can only benefit from a free advice and service especially with first mortgage when you’re so excited that you miss many of the important things to consider.
All we know about you is that you’re a first time buyer. How can you expect anyone to give you advice knowing just that?
BH – with that kind of response your business won’t grow much
I am being realistic. How can you give proper guidance with no information on the borrower?
What advice would you provide in this case BP?
BH and Observer are both right: consult a professional, and be clear around your appetite for risk…
That said, the spread between fixed options and variables is pretty tight right now, and no one knows what’s down the road (5 year Gov’t of Canada bond rates closed at an all time low yield today!) A fixed rate right now is probably not a “mistake”: for a small premium now, it allows you to sleep soundly for however many years you choose …
Wooohoo – Canadian bond yields hit record lows today, both at the 10-yr (1.98%!) and the 30-yr (2.58%!). I think the 5-yr yield tied its all-time low from a couple of months ago (1.25%).
Low rates will juice the housing market here for at least several quarters to come … the only caveat to this is if Europe falls apart and a global recession begins – then I think the housing market here could suffer modestly.
If the mortgage rates is to fall… let’s be realistic; say 1/2 a basis point: How much of that will surface to the average mortgage holder or will the system just eat the rate change up. If that is the case… how much of a rate change needs to happen to affect the average Joe?
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates as they happen. Unsubscribe any time.