Manager, Market Conduct Compliance
The Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) is an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Finance that regulates insurance, pension plans, loan and trust companies, credit unions, caisses populaires, mortgage brokers and co-operative corporations in Ontario. The FSCO provides oversight of these provincially regulated financial service sectors in Ontario to safeguard protection of the public, enhance consumer confidence and trust, and ensure a viable and functional financial services marketplace in Ontario and has responsibility for licensing, compliance and enforcement.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Reporting to the Director, Market Regulation Branch, you will:
- Lead and oversee the planning and management of compliance teams responsible for the delivery of market conduct and prudential examination, review, and audit projects;
- Review compliance risk assessment operations and project results, and authorize notifications to financial institution officials and intermediaries of findings and compliance requirements;
- May authorize regulatory enforcement action within legislative authority, according to delegated powers;
- Manage the provision of technical advisory and consultation services to stakeholder sectors on the interpretation and application of FSCO legislation and compliance requirements;
- Lead the development and management of partnership relationships with all the regulated financial service sectors in Ontario, to consult on regulatory matters that impact sector compliance and operations;
- Lead the assessment of market conduct risks, impacts and issues, and the provision of strategic advice and issues management strategies/solutions to the Director, Executive Director and CEO/Superintendent;
- Lead/manage research projects for compliance program development and implementation;
- Participate as a member of the branch/division management team, and act for the Director, Market Regulation Branch as assigned;
- Lead division, FSCO, inter-ministry and sector committees and projects.
How do I qualify?
Knowledge for the financial services environment:
- Proven comprehensive knowledge and expertise related to governance, risk management and/or compliance principles and practices, or;
- Proven excellent knowledge of accounting, audit theory or internal audit principles, methods and practices.
Strategic orientation, leadership and management skills:
- Strategic orientation with proven excellent leadership skills;
- Demonstrated operational management skills and experience in planning, leading and managing the delivery or audit, compliance or regulatory operations in the financial services;
- Proven excellent human resources management skills to effectively lead and manage a team in a matrix management environment;
- Experience leading in a unionized environment.
Analytical, decision making, issues management, and project management skills:
- Proven excellent analytical skills to identify significant issues which impact the organization, and to develop and implement effective solutions;
- Proven excellent risk assessment and decision-making skills to authorize notifications and regulatory compliance actions;
- Proven project management skills to lead program/process development projects and to manage deadlines and competing priorities.
Relationship development/management, communication and consultation skills:
- Demonstrated relationship development/management skills to represent the government/FSCO with licensees and officials in all regulated financial service sectors;
- Demonstrated superior verbal communication and presentation skills to provide compliance and regulatory expertise, advice and briefings to stakeholders, senior management and the CEO/Superintendent;
- Demonstrated superior written communication skills to deliver team service plans/standards, technical and analytical reports, policy/procedure recommendations, issue briefings, and project plans/reports.
Experience within the financial service sectors in Ontario:
- Proven knowledge/experience related to business operations, product development, the distribution of financial products/services, or risk management primarily within FSCO regulated sectors;
- Experience working with financial services intermediaries;
- Knowledge of risk-based regulatory techniques.
Salary Range: $81,636 - $106,655 per year
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 24 months, 5160 Yonge St, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, by Friday, February 10, 2017, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 104130 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.