Position Summary (Scope & Purpose):
Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, the junior underwriter will provide credit assistance to underwriters through the loan setup and fulfillment process. As a talented communicator, you will have frequent contact with mortgage brokers and needs to apply their existing credit experience without compromising service, profitability, and compliance. The junior underwriter will support the team with the underwriting of basic applications.
- Responsible for condition fulfillment, recommending, declining, reviewing, and approving incoming basic mortgage and secured loan applications (including supporting documentation) to be secured within established guidelines and scope of approval authority.
- Exercise sound lending judgment without compromising service, profitability, and compliance.
- Prepare recommendations for mortgages and loans that are over defined scope of approval limit and present submissions to management.
- Analyze and screen mortgage applications, ensure file quality and completeness
- Serve as liaison between, risk management and the broker community
- Accurately respond to broker’s inquiries on process, rate and special promotions
- Build an open-communication environment by cultivating relationships with the broker community
- Prepare Monthly, Quarterly and Ad Hoc Reports for internal stakeholders
Candidate Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Experience):
- Bachelors degree preferably in a financial field
- 3-5 years experience working in the mortgage market, ideally within a financial services setting
- Detailed knowledge of mortgage lending policies, fulfillment process and related documentation requirements and quality assurance process
- Demonstrated numerical and problem-solving skills, combined with strong communication abilities
- Superior time management – prioritizing, planning, and maintaining timelines and deliverables
- Strong customer service-orientation, demonstrating tact and professionalism
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced team environment, under tight timelines
- Proven experience with MS Word, Excel, Outlook; Mortgage underwriting software considered an asset
- Operates within and promotes compliance with, company policies and procedures and all statutes and legislation governing the workplace including the Bank’s Code of Conduct.
- Attention to detail and accuracy and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Excellent communication skills, writing and oral.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org