CMLS Financial is looking for an experienced motivated self-starting Risk Manager to join our Toronto Commercial Mortgages team. We are looking for an emerging leader and an expert in Commercial Real Estate lending who is excited to use their problem solving, analytical and technical writing skills to make an impact on the growth of this team. You will take on an active role leading the Commercial Real Estate Analysts and Originators, while underwriting complex credit applications and submissions with summaries and recommendations regarding risk assessment for commercial mortgages. The successful candidate will collaborate with the other Risk Managers to manage risk, protect the Company’s assets, and maintain the quality of the loan portfolio by ensuring adherence to all lending regulations, policies and audit requirements. We are looking for a talented and dedicated addition to our team – join us!
About the Role:
Reporting to the Vice President & Managing Director of Commercial Credit Risk, you will be joining a hardworking and dynamic team of Analysts, Risk Managers and Originators. You will provide timely and proactive support by:
- Conducting appropriate due diligence and investigation to gain solid understanding of the borrower, analyzing and interpreting financial data and credit information, assessing the value of security, and underwriting commercial mortgage presentations and annual reviews within the guidelines of lending policies and procedures;
- Maintaining ongoing interaction with clients (including performing site visits if applicable) and internal stakeholders to ensure thorough underwriting and funding of the loan;
- Working as part of a team in the completion of mortgage presentations, meeting pre-funding conditions and third party instructions to meet all funding requirements within tight deadlines;
- Staying current with market information and commercial mortgage market trends; and
- Reviewing and making recommendations to the Analyst team’s mortgage presentations;
- Sizing deals with Analysts and Originators and providing support to ensure comprehension;
- Attending Credit Committee meetings and discuss commercial mortgage presentations as required;
- Maintaining positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintaining good channels of communication with Originators and provide constructive comments on loan submissions;
- Performing other duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job while assisting with other compliance-related tasks and department projects to support growth and strategic initiatives as assigned.
This Role is For You If:
- You have 5+ years of experience working in the Commercial Real Estate Risk industry or Commercial lending;
- You have completed an undergraduate degree in one of the following concentrations: finance, economics, urban land development, accounting or business administration; a MBA, CMA, CFA, or CA is considered an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of commercial real-estate with emphasis on income producing real estate in the four main sections (multi-family, industrial, office and retail);
- You have strong verbal communication and technical writing skills with the ability to transfer your knowledge/ expertise to coach others, take on a leadership role and develop others; You have experience creating and delivering business presentations and strong technical writing skills;
- You are very results-driven and possess strong organizational skills with a high attention to detail;
- You take ownership of your work and demonstrate a high degree of accountability and commitment at all times;
- You are an intermediate to advanced level user of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint); and
- You have a passion for real estate combined with an understanding of financial and statement analysis.
We are Canada’s Mortgage Company. Founded in 1974, CMLS Financial is one of Canada’s largest, independently owned mortgage services companies - Over 40 years, 10 000 customers and $20 billion in assets. CMLS services for a variety of investors including banks, insurance companies, investment managers, private lenders and commercial mortgage-backed security (CMBS) trusts. Our diverse platform and customer forward approach creates a wide range of client options and an environment for a very rewarding career. Our employees and partnerships set us apart and we know it.
Named a "Great Place to Work" again for 2018, we are passionate about fostering a culture that is dynamic, fast-paced and supportive of creative and talented individuals with fresh ideas. We are advocates for our people and want them to enjoy a challenging and rewarding long-term career with us, so we support their growth through various learning and developmental opportunities.
We want to hear from you!
If you are confident that you would be a strong asset to our team, submit both a cover letter and resume today! We thank all applicants for their time in applying, however we will only contact those selected for an interview. Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.